church on this site was built in 1695 for the use of protestant,
presbyterian and congregational dissenters. The church was remodelled
and enlarged after the Whitehaven and High Street Presbyterian churches
united in 1900. A new hall was built in 1977 and further alterations to
the church has provided extra meeting areas and enlarged the entrance
vestibule (Note 1).
Cumbria is an Ecumenical County. The United
Reformed Church, Methodist, Salvation Army and Anglican churches are
partner denominations to a Declaration of Intent aimed at working more
closely together in mission. This is supported by four companion
denominations; Roman Catholic, Baptist, Quaker and Church of
are a friendly church. We like singing hymns and Bible based
Morning worship starts at 11:00. It lasts for an hour and
includes hymns, prayers, bible readings, a sermon, family time and
church family news.
After the service we get together for about 30
minutes in the main hall for tea or coffee and further fellowship.
Evening services are held in the church hall twice a
month. These start at 6.15 and last 45 minutes.
A book by Anne Dick, Whitehaven United
Reformed Church 1695-1995 with a supplement to 2005 details the
history of the congregations which form Whitehaven URC. This is
available at a cost of
£4 plus p&p from the Church